‘Pitta’– I don’t know if it is only me or it happens with you all too, but I think that this word talks about itself. The word Pitta itself boasts about its qualities like redness, hot, obnoxious. Is it only me who feels it?
Vata, Pitta, Kapha are the three doshas naturally present in our body. When these doshas are in their natural healthy conditions, they keep us healthy. Due to the incorrect physical and mental habits that we practice, these doshas deteriorate and give rise to various unhealthy conditions.
I recommend that you first read what is dosha and what is Prakriti in the other post- https://ayureasy.com/what-is-vata-dosha-everything-about-vata-dosha-decoded/
After getting introduced to the doshas from the above linked post, you can now understand what is Pitta dosha easily.
In this post, we will know-
- What is Pitta dosha
- Pitta dosha characteristics
- Pitta body type characteristics
- Pitta imbalance symptoms
- Ayurvedic medicine for Pitta dosha
What is Pitta dosha-
If you want to visualize Pitta, imagine the hotness of fire, redness of blood and the sharpness of spices. That is exactly Pitta dosha. So does this make Pitta harmful?
No, inspite of these qualities, Pitta is needed for our body.
It is beneficial and has many responsibilities to carry to maintain goodness.
Functions of Pitta-
Digestion– The foremost important function is digestion. No food can be digested without Pitta.
Temperature– Maintenance of normal body temperature.
Vision– One of the types of pitta is Alochak Pitta which is responsible for our vision. Deterioration of this is one of the reasons why people get specs.
Hunger– Realization of hunger is the work of Pitta. During fever, the Pitta dosha predominantly deteriorates and therefore, the patient doesn’t feel like eating anything.
Thirst– Pitta generates the feeling of thirst. When Pitta gets deteriorated, it generates false thirst. False thirst is when your body doesn’t need water, but still you feel thirsty due to vitiated Pitta.
Skin radiance– Sometimes, you are awestruck by some people’s skin, how they adorn a fresh healthy glow on their skin (without makeup). One of the reasons for such healthy skin is Pitta, especially Bhraajak Pitta.
Courage- Courage to carry out any task, the bravery needed to take that first crucial step is the function of Pitta.
Pitta dosha characteristics–
We will now list down the Pitta dosha characteristics-
- Sasneha– Smooth/tender/oily
- Tikshna– Sharp
- Ushna– Hot
- Laghu- Light-weight
- Vistra– Obnoxious/ unpleasant
- Sara– Spreading
- Drava– Liquid
Next, I’ll tell you what Pitta does with each of these qualities:
Sasneha– A little oil/ghee is needed to cook food. Similarly, you need it inside the body to digest the food and the mild smooth or oily nature of Pitta does this for you.
Tikshna– The sharpness of Pitta gives it the power of penetration to breakdown the food, penetrate in the deep spaces. If this quality vitiates, the pitta penetrates to form ulcers.
Ushna- Pitta is Hot which is an essential quality for digestion.
Laghu– The light-weight quality of Pitta is helpful in digestion again.
Vistra– Pitta has a foul-smell, this itself is its quality.
Pitta body type characteristics-
Body and skin– Pitta prakriti people have a radiant skin, warm body and skin, fair complexion, have black spots, warts on skin.
Teeth, Hair and Nails– Hairs often get grey prematurely, increased pitta leads to hairfall. Nails have a pink undertone.
Voice– They are loud and confident, talk quite fast.
Memory- They have a sharp memory, are shrewd and expert in their area.
Nature and Habits– They cannot withstand heat. They like to live in cold environment, always looking for a fan or AC. They often get a lot of sweat and body odour.
They walk and talk quite fast.
They like to compete, are mighty, ferocious, shrewd.
They get angry quickly and quite often. Admire them and they are yours.
They have clarity of thoughts, ready to help others.
They are fighters, indulge in violence.
They often have hunger pangs. Forever hungry, they eat often. Also thirsty, they tend to drink lot of water.
These are the general features of Pitta body type. The other doshas are discussed in detail in the other posts.
Pitta imbalance symptoms-
Signs of increase in Pitta-
- Discoloration of skin, nails, eyes- mostly a yellow colour
- Excess hunger
- Burning sensation
- Anger outbursts
- Disturbed sleep
- Many disease conditions like acidity, vertigo, skin problems etc. have vitiated Pitta as their cause. Wherever the vitiated Pitta is present it will hamper the surrounding and activities of that organ.
- Premature graying of hair
Other than these, many other excess Pitta symptoms are observed.
Signs of decrease in Pitta-
- Decreased digestive fire
- Changes in complexion or skin
- Changes in the body temperature
There are 5 different types of Pitta. Same like Vata, their imbalance gives rise to more varied Pitta dosha symptoms. Imbalanced Pitta types when get mixed with other types of imbalanced doshas give way to further more complaints. These Pitta imbalance symptoms are quite deep and take years to learn.
What causes Pitta imbalance symptoms?
- Often eating spicy, sour, salty foods, pickles etc.
- Travelling in scorching heat
- Coming in direct contact of a heat source. Example, housewives, chefs who prepare food are exposed to heat for a long time
- Fasting frequently
- Consumption of opposite food combinations like Milk + any food, Milk products like ice-cream + meat/fish/eggs
- Irregular timings of food
- Sleeping late at night or not getting enough sleep
These Pitta dosha causes are the major ones responsible for the Pitta dosha symptoms.
Ayurvedic medicine for Pitta dosha symptoms-
- The Pitta dosha treatment depends on the factors responsible for its imbalance. Hence, the causes of its imbalance need to be stopped first.
- The medicine which is of opposite quality than the quality of Pitta dosha imbalance is the drug of choice.
- Foods which are sweet, bitter and pungent decrease Pitta.
- Meditation, Pranayam help to calm down the mind due to agitated Pitta.
- Ghrita (Ghee) is a pacifier of Pitta. Ghee should be incorporated in Pitta body type diet.
- Raisins are sweet and cooler, thus useful in Pitta. Take half cup i.e. 60-70 grams of raisins, soak them in water for 30 minutes or less, wash it out with water properly, strain it and eat the raisins.
- Sootshekhar, Kamdudha, Praval pishti, Yashtimadhu and many other Ayurvedic medicine for Pitta dosha imbalance are available. Your Ayurvedic doctor will tell you exactly which Pitta dosha treatment is applicable in your condition.
- Gulkand, Moravala are also beneficial and can be taken as home remedies for Pitta dosha.
- Virechan is one of the most important Ayurvedic treatment for Pitta dosha. It is done mostly in the Spring season.
- Incorporate good amount of coriander in your food.
- Wax gourd (Kohal) is the most forgotten and overlooked fruit but very useful for Pitta dosha.
Pitta dosha personality are regarded as the most angry ones but they also forgive quickly, they can go out of their way to help someone. They are creative, passionate about art.
Due to some trigger, Pitta can form Vikruti (pathology). Proper medicines can normalize the Pitta dosha symptoms.
Like, share and comment on the post. Follow our social media handles for updates.
Know more about the other doshas here- What is Vata dosha?