Recently, I have been seeing increasing number of Vertigo cases around, people are in search of Ayurvedic treatment for Vertigo. And hence, I thought of sharing what we have in store about Vertigo ayurvedic cure.
In Ayurveda, Vertigo is called ‘Bhram’ (भ्रम). This actually is a symptom. A symptom of imbalanced Vaat or Pitta or maybe some other underlying disease. But this symptom gets much attention compared to other symptoms present simultaneously. This is due to the difficulty it causes in carrying out one’s day to day activities, or driving, or something very simple as turning around or getting up. Eventually, this symptom takes the turn of a disease.
The main sign of Vertigo or Bhram which also defines the word is – dizziness or the feeling of spinning.
What are symptoms of Vertigo in Ayurveda?
- You feel as if the world around you is rotating and revolving!
- You feel that you are twirling round and around. (Both of these symptoms are different if you read carefully.)
- Nausea– feeling like vomiting.
- Sometimes actually vomiting. These episodes are generally in the morning after waking up.
- Tinnitus- ringing in the ears.
- Decreased decision-making ability. More often you get confused, cannot decide what is right and wrong and cannot arrive at a decision.
You may also be experiencing the following associated symptoms along with Vertigo:
- Acidity– Burning sensation along the throat, chest and stomach.
- Excessive sweating.
- Sudden blackouts.
- Frequent anger outbursts.
- Complaints relating to eyes, ears, skin, digestion.
These associated symptoms are due to the common causes they share with Vertigo.
What is Vertigo according to Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, there are three responsible causes of Vertigo:
- Imbalance of Vata (or Vaat / वात).
- Imbalance of Pitta (पित्त).
- Imbalance of ‘Raja’(रज).
Now, what is Vata, Pitta and Raja?
According to Ayurveda, Vata, Pitta and Kapha are the three doshas naturally present in our body. Also, Raja and Tama are the doshas present in our mind. Disease arises when these get imbalanced.
Specifically, Vertigo occurs when one or all out of Vata, Pitta ad Raja get imbalanced or degraded.
What are the causes of Vertigo?
Imbalance of Vata is caused by-
- Sleeping late at night.
- Travelling more than often for long distances.
- Being in direct contact or standing in front of winds,fan or other fast air sources.
- Habit of constipation.
- Suppressing the natural urges.
Imbalance of Pitta is caused by-
- Constantly roaming in the sun.
- Being in the contact of fire and its heat.
- Consuming foods that increase Pitta like spicy, salty and sour foods.
Imbalance of Raja-
This is caused by resorting to incorrect physical and mental habits and imbalanced Pitta.
- If the Vertigo is due to Vata, the predominant sign is the feeling of you revolving and losing balance, tinnitus, etc.
- If the cause of Vertigo is Pitta,, the major sign is the feeling that the world around you is revolving while you are stable.
- If it is due to Raja dosha, you mostly experience symptoms related to mind like decreased decision-making ability.
Can ayurvedic Vertigo treatment permanently treat Vertigo?
Vertigo is said to be curable in Ayurveda. If it is due to some other underlying major health problem or if the patient has been experiencing it since a long time, then it is difficult to treat.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Vertigo
- Karnapuran– Lying laterally on one side, warm oil is poured into the ears. This is the best Ayurvedic medicine for Vertigo caused by Vata. This also helps to treat Tinnitus, that is, ringing in ears, balance disorder, etc. Bilva tail is preferred oil for this purpose.
- Yavagu or Rice gruel enhanced with Shatavari, Ashwagandha, Bala, Ghrita (Ghee) can be consumed. This can also be considered as one of the home remedies for Vertigo.
- Vatavidhwans Ras, Samirpannaag Ras (very strictly to be taken under Ayurvedic medical supervision only) are few of the Ayurvedic medicine for Vertigo problem. Other medicines to pacify Vata, which are hot, greasy are available which can be useful for Vertigo due to Vata.
- Tablets of Sootshekhar ras, Kamdudha ras etc are the Ayurvedic medicine for dizziness caused due to Pitta.
- Medicines having coolant, sweet properties are chosen for vertigo due to Pitta.
- Kharjur Mantha, Dadimavaleha, Moravla are the Vertigo Ayurvedic cure which act by pacifying Pitta.
- Snehan, that is, Oleation is very important and the best Ayurvedic medicine for Vertigo due to Vata. Consuming Eranda tail (Castor oil) every alternate day with hot water or hot milk will satisfy this purpose.
- Expelling the Pitta out is necessary too. Rechan churna can be taken for this purpose.
There are many more principles that should be considered while treating any disease and it is important that you consult Ayurvedic doctors for Ayurvedic treatment of Vertigo because Ayurvedic treatment differs for each person.
Ayurvedic treatment stands strong on two important pillars:
- Expelling or stopping the cause.
- Prescribing medicines.
Both of these are equivalently important. After all, for how long are you going to keep consuming medicines? Stopping the cause is 50 percent of the work done. Therefore, Identify the causes and follow the Do’s and Don’ts.
The Dos and Don’ts in Ayurveda for Vertigo:
- Do not suppress the natural urges of urination, passing stools, sneezing, coughing, yawning etc. This is a neglected but a very important advice given by Ayurveda.
- Avoid riding vehicles for long hours or at a fast speed. This helps to check the increasing Vata dosha.
- Do not eat spicy, sour and salty foods in excess. Avoid eating opposite food combinations described in Ayurveda like Milk + other foods simultaneously.
Home remedies for Vertigo
(Please note that Ayurveda and home remedies are two different things. Home remedies are found in kitchen which help a bit in the actual treatment; whereas Ayurveda is a whole different science which has its own principles, herbs and minerals which are not found in kitchen.)
- Karnapuran mentioned above can be done at home.
- The next one helps in decreasing the Pitta and hence is an ayurvedic remedy for balance disorder treatment and Acidity both. Take half cup i.e. 60-70 grams of raisins, soak them in water for 30 minutes or less, wash it out with water properly, strain it and eat the raisins. Here it is important that you chew the raisins properly and take a good 15-20 minutes time to eat all of them at once.
- Chop coriander into fine pieces. Pour a glass of hot water in it and immediately cover it with lid. After the water cools down, collect the droplets under the lid in the same water container. Add Khadi shakkar/ Mishri / Rock sugar. And drink the water. It decreases the Pitta and hence,Vertigo. Again, an extremely useful home remedy for Vertigo and acidity.
I am sure this article would have answered the doubts you had about ‘How to treat Vertigo by Ayurveda?’ If you notice, Ayurveda emphasizes so much on the cause. All the treatment principles are centered towards uprooting the cause and then repair the damage that has already been done. It is for this reason that a single medicine has variety of applications on various systems. That is why some Ayurvedic remedy for Vertigo may seem similar to those of Acidity. And here lies the speciality of Ayurveda.