The diseases that cause most inconvenience to people are those relating to anus, rectum and the surrounding areas. This is because you cannot leave those parts open and wearing clothes increases the trouble. You sit on your anus literally and this causes pain, but you cannot stand the whole day without sitting. Also, many people are not comfortable to talk about these diseases.
One of such diseases is Piles or Hemorrhoids. Let us know more about the Ayurvedic cure for piles.
Difference between Piles, Fissure and Fistula
These 3 diseases are misunderstood by many people. The patients assume they have piles when they actually have fissure, and they say that they have fissure when in reality they have fistula. I am telling the basic differences here in all three-
Fissure is a crack or tear in the skin of your anus. You can see blood lined along the stools while defecation.
Fistula has 2 openings- one is the anus and the other may be a painful hole or opening anywhere 3-4 cm around the anus. Mucous discharge, stools may come through the other opening.
And lastly, all about Ayurvedic remedy for Piles is told henceforth.
Do you experience one, some or all of these symptoms of Piles?
- Painless bleeding- Bleeding after excretion of stools. It can be drop wise or can splash all at once. This is the symptom of Internal piles.
- External piles don’t bleed normally, but they cause pain.
- Bulging of mass from the anus.
- Mucous discharge from the anus.
- Itching at the anal region and surrounding areas, resulting in irritation.
- Indigestion of consumed food.
- Constipation or difficulty in passing stools.
- Increased acidity.
What is Piles?
It is a dilated network of hemorrhoidal veins in relation to the anal canal. In simple terms, it can be said that it is an inflammation of anal cushion.
There are two types of Piles- Internal piles and External piles.
Internal piles are above the pectinate line. They bleed without pain. Internal piles cannot be felt externally.
External Piles are below the pectinate line. They are painful and can be seen on external examination.
Internal piles do not cause pain, they only bleed. This makes them more complicated because the patients do not go to the doctor since they do not suffer from any pain. Couple of years pass this way and when the bleeding becomes profuse, only then they see a doctor.
Piles according to Ayurveda-
Ayurveda calls this condition as ‘Arsha’ and divides them into 6 types depending on their appearance, causes and symptoms.
Let’s look at the causes of Piles as I always say, Stopping the cause is 50% of the treatment. By stopping these causes of hemorrhoids, you can contribute to half of the Ayurvedic treatment for piles.
What are the causes of Piles?
- Prolonged sitting or standing for long is a causative factor for Piles since the blood has to flow against gravity.
- Straining during defecation- The veins that pass through the anus get constricted if hard stool passes at the time of excretion.
- Due to the pressure during pregnancy.
- Doing strenuous physical work than your capacity.
- Travelling on vehicles most of the time.
- Holding the natural urges of defecation.
- Eating opposite combinations of foods.
- Low digestion capacity.
- Hereditary- Ayurveda has mentioned one type of Piles called as ‘Sahaj Arsha’ wherein the doshas have been passed on through parents.
- The veins may be weak congenitally.
Piles treatment in Ayurveda-
The following methods are the Ayurvedic cure for piles-
- Ayurvedic medicine for Piles
- Kshar karma for Piles
- Agni Karma for Piles
Ayurvedic medicine for Piles-
- Dhamasa, Patha, Shunthi, Bilva, Ova- mix each of these churnas in equal quantities to decrease the pain in piles.
- Kankayan Vati, Triphala Guggul, Arshakuthar Ras are few ayurvedic tablets for Piles.
- Pichu Dhaaran- A small pad of gauze piece of approximately 3-4 cm is to be made and dipped in Jatyadi oil or Kaasisadi Oil. It is then kept at the anal region. This aids in healing and decreasing the pain of piles. This is a must and best Ayurvedic medicine for piles and fissure, both.
- Gandharva Haritaki, Panchasakaar churna can be taken to soften the stools and easy defecation. Softening the stools is an important part of the Ayurvedic medicine for piles and fissure.
- Abhayarishta, Takrarishta, Dantyarishta, Kanakarishta, Drakshasav can be consumed with water. This Ayurvedic treatment for hemorrhoids should be taken after consultation with Ayurvedic doctor as some of these medicines are intense.
- Avagaahan- A tub full of hot Panchavalkal Kwath or Triphala Kwath (decoction) is to be prepared. The patient should sit in this tub for almost 20-30 minutes twice or thrice a day. Often, this regime is ignored but it should not be so as this is has a very effective role to play in the piles treatment in Ayurveda.
- Milk that is boiled with Aardrak, Chitrak, Punarnava should be consumed.
It is necessary to take ayurvedic medicines for Piles only after proper consultation with Ayurvedic doctors.
This is a special Ayurvedic treatment for piles in which Kshar (the alkaline residue of herbs) is applied to the Piles.
Like Kshar Karma, Agnikarma, that is, Cauterization is done.
Kshar Karma shows better results and is practiced more than Agni Karma for piles.
This can be done for external hemorrhoids wherein Jalouka, that is, leeches are applied to the piles. The leech therapy for piles has shown excellent results and stands out as a remarkable Ayurvedic remedy for piles.
The piles which are untreatable by the above methods, those patients who are already in the advanced stage of piles when they approach the doctor, such piles need to be treated with Surgery.
Home remedies for Piles-
- Drink Takra (Buttermilk) daily- before, in between and after food. Takra is one of the best Ayurvedic remedy for Piles. Takra has to be made by mixing 1 part of Dahi (Curd) with 4 parts of water and then churning it. Here, the action of Churning is significant.
- Soup of Kulith (Horse Gram), Matki (Turkish gram) is best for people suffering from hemorrhoids.
- Rice prepared from Raktashali grains are more beneficial to piles patients.
- Suran (Elephant Yam) is specially indicated for Piles treatment in Ayurveda.
- Avoid sitting for long. Nowadays, majority of the jobs demand sitting in front of the computer. But make it a habit to stand and stretch for at least 2-3 minutes after every hour.
- Sit in Vajrasana for 10 minutes before and after meals.
The dietary changes prescribed above if incorporated along with the Ayurvedic treatment for piles can heal a person significantly.
Always remember that home remedies are those solutions which only help in the main treatment. Home remedies are not the actual treatment! Never expect that home remedies will treat the root cause of your disease. They help you to heal faster.
Can I be completely cured with Piles treatment in Ayurveda?
A commonly asked question with many different confusing answers.
The piles which are recent react to medicines better. Some are treatable by Kshaar, Raktamokshan therapy. Few others can be treated with modern Injection therapy, while others may need Surgery. Many people wait and try to find out medicinal alternatives to surgery for piles. But, if your Piles is in the Grade 3 or 4, there is no option to Surgery.
Many also have this question- Does Piles reoccur?
Yes, there have been instances where they reoccur after some years. The doctors need not be blamed if this happens. Every disease has its own behavior and so is it with Piles.
For Ayurvedic treatment for Piles, it is important to consult the doctor as soon as you see the initial signs. Postponing the visit to a doctor is the biggest mistake every piles patient does.
The Takeaway message –
My takeaway message would always be constant-
Identifying the causes, stopping them, following the Dos and Don’ts is 50 percent of the work done. Do it and see yourself getting rid of Piles.