Diabetes has become a fearful word amongst the masses, as there is hardly anyone above the age of 50, who hasn’t got diabetes. Earlier, the age threshold for diabetes was old age in the range of 50 to 60 years. However, now you can see diabetes being detected in the middle-aged group of 30 to 40 years.
Do you experience one, some or all of these symptoms of diabetes?
- Burning sensation and increased frequency of urine.
- Burning sensation in soles of hands and feet is one of the commonly found sugar symptoms.
- Excessive sweating.
- Bad odor of body.
- Feeling lethargic.
- Constantly feeling thirsty and dryness in mouth.
- You feel like just sitting, sleeping and not doing any work.
- Eyes, ears, nose and tongue produce excess waste.
- Weight gain or weight loss.
- Increased hunger which becomes uncontrollable in absence of food.
- Desire to eat cold food items.
- Entangling of hair frequently and rapid growth of hair and nails – these signs of diabetes specially told by Ayurveda are found in many patients.
Some of these symptoms of diabetes are found in the pre-diabetes stage and others persist throughout.
What is Diabetes?
Diabetes mellitus is a condition which occurs due to the either of the following possibilities-
- Body does not produce enough insulin.
- Absence of receptors which bind insulin.
- Absence of enzymes that help to bind insulin.
Diabetes according to Ayurveda-
(This is a bit difficult to understand for people from non-Ayurvedic background. I have tried to explain it in a short and simple way. Still, you can skip this part)
Vata, Pitta and Kapha are the three doshas naturally present in our body. Due to the incorrect habits, all three, especially Kapha, get imbalanced and harm the Meda, Maans, Kleda, Majja, Vasa, Lasika, Oja (these are basically constituents of body which have fluidity/ liquidity/ or have Jal (water) as a major constituent. All of these then harm the Mutra or Urine in Basti and produce the above set of symptoms called as Prameha or Diabetes.
What are the causes of Diabetes?
- Sitting for long hours at stretch.
- Sleeping for long or sleeping during the day.
- Sleeping immediately after having food.
- Just tossing and turning on bed for long without purpose.
- Drinking excessive amount of water.
- Eating foods that are heavy to digest.
- Lack of exercise.
- Consuming milk, curd excessively- this is an unknown but one of the important causes of diabetes.
- Eating sweet foods constantly.
- Drinking cold water.
- Eating starchy foods, papad, etc.
- Stress- is a neglected but a major cause of diabetes.
Ayurveda for Diabetes-
Ayurveda describes 20 types of Prameha, that is, Diabetes. They say that 10 types out of these are curable, others are either difficult or not curable. They can be controlled as far as the patient takes medicines. Those people whose diabetes is detected recently can be treated easily. The diabetes which is obtained through heredity is very difficult to be cured. Even in these cases, Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes can be given for better and long life.
However, all of these depends upon how desirable is the patient to change his lifestyle as diabetes is nothing but a result of poor lifestyle choices.
Click here to buy home sugar testing kit.
Ayurvedic treatment for Diabetes-
Ayurveda for Diabetes treatment divides the patients in two categories-
- Obese (fat/stout/bulky/voluminous/overweight)
- Lean (Thin)
- For obese category, the recommended ayurvedic cure for diabetes is Vaman or sometimes,Virechan, Basti ,which are types of Panchakarma treatment.
- For lean category, ayurvedic medicine for diabetes are preferred over Panchakarma.
- Increasing the Agni (digestive fire), not only in the stomach but also at the cellular level, increasing the metabolism power of liver, decreasing the load put on liver, decreasing the Kapha and Meda in the body are the main principles of Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes.
- Gudmar, Vijaysaar, Amalaki, Jambubeej churna, a good combination of Ayurveda diabetes powder help in controlling Diabetes.
- Kwath or decoction of Triphala, Indrayan, Musta, Daruharidra can be taken- this can be regarded as Ayurvedic syrup for diabetes (though it won’t taste sweet).
- Formuations like NishaAmalaki churna, Phalatrikaadi Kadha are known ayurvedic medicine for Diabetes working at the cellular level and improving the metabolism of liver.
- Chandraprabha Vati, Gokshuradi guggul are commonly used ayurvedic tablets for Diabetes.
It is necessary to take these Ayurvedic medicine for diabetes only after personal consultation with Ayurvedic doctors.
Ayurvedic treatment stands strong on two important pillars-
- Expelling or stopping the cause.
- Prescribing medicines.
Both of these are equivalently important. After all, for how long are you going to keep consuming medicines?
Stopping the cause is 50 percent of the work done. Therefore,
Identify the causes and follow the Do’s and Don’ts.
The Do’s and Don’ts in Ayurveda for Diabetes-
- Though most of the jobs demand sitting at one place for long, take a 3 minute break after each hour, stretch yourself and do simple physical exercises. Don’t be ashamed to do it at workplace as you are the one who will suffer and your good lies in your hands.
- Do not drink excess of water. Many people have the habit of drinking glasses and litres of water every morning after waking up. This is the greatest misguidance spread amongst people which is one of the leading causes of diabetes and many other diseases. Do read my article on ‘How much water should I drink everyday?’
- Do not drink water immediately after having food. This increases Kapha. Keep a gap of at least 45 minutes.
- Curd, Milk, dairy products, jaggery, sugar and its byproducts, potato, udad increase your diabetes. Limit its usage in your diet.
- Exercise is the key to defeat diabetes. Travelling to workplace does not contribute to exercise. Physical activity which involves the cells of your body and mind is exercise. Join gyms, perform Yoga. This is the best ayurvedic cure for Diabetes!
- Sleep is a paramount factor too. Do not sleep during the day, do not sleep immediately after having food. If you feel sleepy, just rest your head against the wall in sitting position. Do not lie down.
- Do not take stress. Ofcourse, this is the most lame sentence I said because nobody takes stress; it just comes. Over thinking increases Kapha contributing to Diabetes. Pranayam, Yoga helps to keep your mind strong and stress free- One of the most important Ayurvedic tips for Diabetes.
- Juices are heavy to digest because they are raw. The right dose of any juice, be it fruit, veggies or medicine, is only 5 to 10 ml. So avoid drinking juices, chew as much as you can. Chewing your food is the greatest help you can do to your digestive system. Also, cooked food has already undergone the ‘Sanskar’ of Agni (fire) , which helps in our digestion; juices do not go through this, they are raw. Therefore, prefer soups over juices.
Home remedies for Diabetes-
- Many people tend to skip Rice because it is said that rice increases weight and diabetes. A solution to this is dry roast the raw rice grains in a pan on a low flame for some time and then cook it.You can roast a week’s rice at once and store it.
- The combination of Honey and water decreases Kapha in overweight patients. Please note that you need to use normal water and NOT HOT WATER. Honey should never ever be consumed with hot water nor with any hot substance.
- Incorporate Yava, that is, Barley grains or flour in your diet. Barley rice, barley puri are the best foods a diabetes patient can have. A very important component of Ayurvedic diet for Diabetes.
- A diabetic should prefer roasted foods. Lahya, Murmura (puffed grains), Popcorn, Khakra are some of the options.
- Practice Udvartana- Udvartana is rubbing the body with dry powders of herbs like Twak, Ela, Agaru, Chandan or with readymade Udvartana powder.
These ayurvedic home remedies for Diabetes help to aid in the main treatment.
Diabetes is a disorder resulting from poor lifestyle and the zest lies in improving the same.
The Takeaway message –
My takeaway message would always be constant-
Identifying the causes, stopping them, following the Dos and Don’ts is 50 percent of the work done. Do it and see yourself getting rid of Diabetes.