Owing to our sedentary lifestyle and bad eating habits, Constipation has become the most common health problem amongst all age groups- young, middle-aged, and elderly. Nowadays, we have easy access to ayurvedic medicine for constipation in the market, so we randomly pick some famous medicine but that is not the right approach.
You are concerned about your habit of constipation (that is why you are reading this) but the majority of the people, especially the younger population do not pay attention to this daily habit of constipating. As a result, they give way to bigger health problems like High Blood Pressure, PCOD, etc. YES! You will be surprised to know these associated symptoms of constipation and that Constipation can be the cause of such major health problems eventually.
Do you experience one, some, or all of these symptoms of Constipation?
Constipation, itself is a symptom. You may have been experiencing the following:
- The stools do not get excreted daily, or they defecate once in 2 or 3 days, or they pass stools daily but the motion is unsatisfactory
- Frequent burping
- Pain in the abdomen
- The fullness of stomach even after eating in a small quantity
- Tightness of abdomen
- Patient typically complaints of accumulation of gas in the stomach
You may also experience the following associated symptoms of constipation-
- Pain in the back, lumbar region, knees, and other joints
- Dry skin
- Fissure-in-ano – Since the stools are not passed daily, they become hard and come out by tearing the skin of the anus, thus creating a cracked skin called Fissure
- Muscle cramps
- Pimples, Acne
- Insomnia- Rarely do we know that lack of sleep can be due to constipation
- High blood Pressure
- Frequent dry cough
- Loss of appetite- reduced desire to eat food as there is a feeling of fullness or tightness
- Premature ejaculation of sperm
- Worms- These are itself the root cause of the majority of the diseases, and one reason they form and accumulate in the body is Constipation
What is Constipation?
Constipation occurs when stool moves through the intestines much slowly. The fluid in the stool is absorbed back into the body, this makes the stool hard and dry. Hence, it becomes difficult to pass the feces.
What is Constipation in Ayurveda?
Ayurveda calls the condition of Constipation as ‘Malavashtambha’.
According to Ayurveda, Vata, Pitta, Kapha are the three doshas naturally present in the body.
- The natural properties of Vata are that it is dry, light, cold, rough, minute, and moving. Due to some incorrect habits or causes, Vata gets imbalanced and therefore it also makes the stool drier, hard, obstructs the movement thus leading to Constipation.
- Another reason can be the increased sharpness of Pitta. This can also make the stool harder.
- The other reason is imbalanced Kapha which leads to the lethargic movements of Intestine which make the passage of stools slower.
Apan Vayu, which is a subtype of Vata is responsible mainly for the natural bowel movements. The natural movement of Apan Vayu is downwards. When it gets obstructed, it goes upwards and sideways causing the associated symptoms of headache, pain in back, lack of sleep, etc.
Can Constipation be cured?
Young people and in those who have recently started constipating can be cured.
It is difficult to treat in those who have an old habit of constipation.
In old patients, it is very difficult as there is a dominance of Vata in old age. As long as the patient takes medicines, he will be relieved.
What are the causes of Constipation?
- Lack of physical exercise is the main cause of constipation.
- Drinking carbonated drinks/cold drinks etc.
- Consuming foods that create gases such as gram flour, bakery products.
- Seasonal changes, predominantly during the winter and rainy seasons.
- Eating too fast.
- Laughing, talking while eating.
- Sleeping late, working in night shifts.
- Getting exposed to winds while travelling, the cold temperature in offices for a long time.
- Sitting for long hours.
- Suppression of natural urges.
Ayurvedic treatment for constipation-
Many people prefer Ayurvedic remedy for constipation as they believe that it does not cause dependency in the long term.
If you do not wish to depend on medicines to relieve constipation for life long, then it is important that you first stop the causes of constipation, and take the complete Ayurvedic treatment for constipation from an ayurvedic doctor near you. Only taking ayurvedic laxative tablets for constipation would not help in the long term.
Balancing the doshas, treating the grahani, and improving the sluggish nature of intestine and other organs is the main ayurvedic remedy for constipation.
- Triphala churna, Castor oil, Gandharva Haritaki churna, Swadishta Rechan Churna, Panchasakar Churna with hot water are few of the Ayurvedic medicines for constipation which act as laxatives by softening the stools and expelling them out.
- Single herbs like Sonamukhi, Aaragwadh, Trivrutta are useful as Ayurvedic powder for constipation.
- Basti, a type of Panchakarma is a very important Ayurvedic medicine for chronic constipation. This gives strength to the intestines and makes them active in performing the bowel movements. Also, sometimes it may happen that even the strongest laxatives cannot relieve your constipation. Basti is a necessity in this case.
- Improving digestion is another important Ayurvedic treatment for constipation. A combination of Shunthi, Nimba, Trikatu, Indrayav help in this.
- Ayurvedic churna for constipation like Vatari churna having Pancha Lavan.i.e. 5 salts as the major ingredients help to relieve the tightness of the stomach due to Vata. Since this contains salt, it is not advisable for patients with Pitta prakriti to consume it for long.
- Medicines for deworming like Krumimudga Ras, Krumikuthar Ras, Vidangarishta must be taken by a patient of Constipation. The habit of accumulation of feces gives birth to worms. And they in turn give rise to the associated symptoms mentioned above. This treatment principle should especially be considered while giving ayurvedic medicine for children’s constipation.
The line of treatment and medicine for constipation differ for each person hence to get the right Ayurvedic medicine for constipation and to avoid any side effect, all these medicines should be taken only after proper consultation with Ayurvedic Doctors.
Home remedies for Constipation-
- Make a paste of Hing, Saindhav salt with hot water, and apply it around the belly and on the sides. This is the best ayurvedic medicine for constipation and gas in the stomach which is accumulated and does not pass.
- Avoid eating dry foods like Chana dal (gram flour) preparations. This increases the Vata leading to Constipation.
- Applying hot Castor oil over the stomach and drinking four spoons of Castor Oil with hot water at night is good medicine for constipation in Ayurveda.
- Consume a spoonful or two of Ghee in your diet. Its greasy nature helps to lubricate the stools and intestines.
- Sleeping late at night, eating at odd timings, living in cold temperatures increases Vata. Go to bed early. At the workplace, insist on neutral or warmer room temperatures at 25-26 degrees Celsius.
- Take half cup i.e. 60-70 grams of raisins, soak them in water for 30 minutes or less, wash it out with water properly, strain it, and eat the raisins. Here you must chew the raisins properly and take a good 15-20 minutes time to eat all of them at once. This is an ayurvedic remedy for constipation and acidity both.
- Exercise is the key factor to fight constipation. If you wish to stay away from constipation and medicines both, then Exercise! Join gyms, perform Yoga. This is the best Ayurvedic medicine for constipation.
- Yoga postures for constipation–
- Vajrasana (the only asana which can be done after meals),
These are easy yoga asanas for constipation which you can do at home.
Majority of the times when patient comes with the complaint of constipation, there is one common thing I hear from them, “I drink lots of water early morning to pass stools”.
Guys! This is the most incorrect thing to do! You may feel relieved for time-being, but in reality you are only adding up to your constipation problem.
Are you one of them? Then just stop doing it today. We have already addressed this in our blog post How much water should I drink everyday?
It is important to get the right Ayurvedic treatment for Constipation. Only relying on medicines for the softening of motions is incorrect. It is important to take a wholesome treatment to correct Grahani, which is your digestive system, work on your causes which will eventually relieve constipation without relying on stool softeners every day.